It seems like it was just last week when I was out enjoying the Big Deschutes River, and Wickiup – this morning we had our first dusting of snow. Although it was gone by noon it was there and tonight the temperatures are dropping again. It must be time to start thinking about winter and getting our properties ready for the snow.
Below is a quick list of the things we do around our home to prepare for the cold temperatures and snow.
- close the vents in the foundation – These should have been opened in the spring to allow airflow but in the winter they should be closed to help keep it the snow and cold wind away from the crawl space of your home.
- Change outdoor light bulbs – there is nothing worse than having to do this in the snow.
- Put a cover on your satellite dish – this keeps the snow off of the dish and keeps your reception all winter.
- Disconnect hoses from frost free faucets – if the hose is connect the frost freeze faucet can freeze
- Roll up and put away hoses – draining them first is a good idea
- Tune up the snow blower or snow plow
- Get out the extension cords to “plug in” the vehicles
- Wash the windows on the next warm day – they streak pretty bad in cold temps..
- Check the weather stripping at the doors – replace as needed.
- Dig out the coats – send them to the cleaners if necessary – you never know when you will need one.
Remember Spring is only 4 to 5 months away – and we will be enjoying the warm lakes and trails again. Enjoy your winter time activities and stay tuned for what Sunriver and La Pine have to offer for us this year.